So I’ve been thinking a little bit. Why not create a Winter Soldier spin-off film that establishes the previous character of the Winter Soldier? After all, Bucky is still trying to find out who he really is after his memories had been wiped out by HYDRA. With the amount of Marvel films to hit theaters through 2019, it remains to be seen how many films will star Bucky Barnes aka The Winter Soldier. We know that actor Sebastian Stan has signed a nine year picture deal with Marvel studios early 2014. Now that nine picture deal does guarantee that Stan will be in nine Marvel films. What it does mean is that if Marvel were to ever need him for that many films in the future, Stan would have to star in the role that they need him for. So what kind of films could be involved in this nine picture deal?
Well for starters, Captain America: The First Avenger was certainly his first film as Steve Rogers’ best friend in the army. Captain America: The Winter Soldier would be his next feature film showcasing as an assassin known as the Winter Soldier. Finally, as to be expected, Stan will be appearing in a much larger role in next years Captain America: Civil War. That now leaves six more films for Stan to star in moving forward if Marvel were to use him. So what other films could Stan potentially star in? Let’s go right down the list AFTER Captain America: Civil War.
- Dr. Strange (2016):
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017): Most certainly not. Director James Gunn is quite happy about his ensemble of heroes and this film would be a great way to explore more backstories concerning the team members with the most rumors circulating Star Lord’s father.
- Untitled Spider-Man Film (2017): With SONY reaching a deal with Marvel, the famous wall crawler now gets to become an Avenger and will make his debut presumably in next summer’s Captain America: Civil War. It has also been rumored that Iron-Man will be in this film perhaps “testing” him to see if he has what it takes to be an Avenger. This is another film that probably won’t feature Bucky either as the main focus will definitely be the newest Avenger.
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017): The second and perhaps final sequel for the mighty Thor. This film will most likely take place in Asgard as the word ‘Ragnarok’ translates to the end of the universe in Norse mythology. The film according to Kevin Feige, “..is a very important movie in phase three. We plan on taking Thor to another level. It picks up where we leave Thor in “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and impacts everything that comes after.” So far we know that the events of the film will lead into the Infinity Wars. If this film were just to take place in Asgard, it will most likely feature Thor and his Asgardian brethren in the movie. Will Barnes play a role in this film? Probably not.
- Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 (2018): you can bet that there will be a BIG cast for this film. So chances are we will see Sebastian Stan again and could he be playing a different character this time around (the new Captain America perhaps)?
- Black Panther (2018): T’Challas first appearance will be in next summer’s Captain America: Civil War. Now he will finally get a solo film adventure. This film will probably go into more detail of his backstory of when he became the Black Panther. We’ve already seen Andy Serkis play Ulysses Klaw in Avengers: Age of Ultron, so perhaps he will be the main antagonist in the movie. However, there is the potential of Sebastian Stan starring in this film simply because we will see both of these Marvel characters in Captain America: Civil War. What side these two heroes will be on at the conclusion of the film is still up in the air. It will be interesting to see if this Black Panther film is an origin story, a continuation of the events AFTER the previous films, or both. Don’t count Stan out of this film just yet because I have a feeling that things are just starting to heat up.
- This is yet another film where we will most likely be introduced to a brand new character in Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel. The movie will have now given us another intergalactic hero to root for. Bucky will not be in this film but could the Guardians of the Galaxy play a role in this? Don’t count them out here especially if Marvel plans on joining their universe with the Avengers.
- Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 (2019):
- Inhumans (2019):